Thursday 14 January 2010

Is there really anything wrong?

Last night before I left work I passed the time of day with one of the company directors. He told me that my line manager had informed him of my situation and I elaborated a little on the up-coming chemo but later realised that to the outside world I look the same fit & healthy person I was 6 months ago, perhaps a bit heavier due to the reduction in testosterone, well that's what I'm putting the festive period excessive eating and weight gain down to. 

I did realise this perception previously when talking to Sam just after my operation as I looked no different before going to hospital  as I did when I returned to work after my recovery period, with the exception of my trousers fitting a little different around the crotch. Although I will not do anything to try and hide the fact I have cancer as I don't consider it anything to be embarrassed about I have not been trumpeting it around, just keeping the family & friends who are close to me updated with progress and wearing my Livestrong bracelet with pride. This leads me to sometimes wonder what the guys I work with, who don't know my situation, are thinking when I'm in and out of the hospital as regularly as I have been. My situation might become much more apparent to them, if I suffer from the hair loss side effect, as I'm hoping not to be away from work for too long during each cycle. Saying that, I usually have my hair cut very short so it might not be too obvious that I have lost any at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.